Shaw Contracting (Aust) is a leader in Tasmania’s civil construction, earthmoving and contract mining industries.
The company boasts a workforce upwards of over 100 highly skilled and motivated people both directly and by subcontract.
Shaw’s areas of expertise include:
- Civil Works
- Building Works
- Highways, Roads and Rail
- Bulk Earthworks
- Dams and Pipeworks
- Water Treatment Plants
- Electrical Infrastructure
- Waste Management
As a part of a series of projects spawned by a strategic review in 2012, Shaw Contracting engaged ITR to implement a hybrid corporate cloud environment to deliver their information services needs. Shaw chose the hybrid model so that it could take advantage of the cost effectiveness of publicly offered standard business application whilst securing internally its core business application requirements.
The two key strategic drivers behind the project were to:
- Ensure a simple, consistent and universal user experience to allow a flexible and dynamic workforce
- Increase systems mobility and user accessibility to allow Shaw to react to diverse opportunities and changing market conditions.
The project was carried out in two parallel phases; the implementation of the private cloud and the procurement and migration to publicly offered business applications, namely Office 365. The final component of the project was to implement an associated Citrix environment, through which the Shaw hybrid cloud environment could be accessed.
The Office 365 project included phases of:
- Mailbox migration
The Data Centre creation included the implementation of:
- SQL servers
- Domain Controllers
- File servers, and
- Citrix servers
Upon completion of the project, the client reported that the new cloud environment had:
- Increased their capacity
- Reduced their costs
- Provided a more effective remote access solution
- Improved interoperability between business solutions, and
- Converted large scale and risky capital expenditures to easy to manage ongoing operational expenses